What Are Vape Pods?
Recap: A vape pod is a small, sleek unit that houses a coil, an atomiser head, and an e-liquid of your choice. You can choose between pre-filled pods (closed system pods) or refillable pods (open system pods).
Vape pods are one of the newer options on the vape market, but they are no less popular. The almost nonexistent learning curve means that they are a great choice for beginner vapers, and the sleek exterior and range of flavour profiles on offer make them popular amongst intermediate and advanced vapers.
If you are just dipping your toes into the world of vaping, pods might seem confusing. They are a cross between traditional tanks and disposables, which makes the definition even more unclear. At Vont, we’ve gathered a few vape pod enthusiasts to answer the question: what are vape pods?
Vape Pods Vs. Traditional Tanks
You will be familiar with traditional tanks: they contain an atomising head, a coil, and an e-liquid of your choice. In most cases, they are semi-transparent or entirely transparent. They are functional and sometimes aesthetic.
Vape pods are alternatives to traditional tanks. They contain all the essential bits and bobs that make up a tank. You can expect to find an atomiser head, a coil, and e-liquid in your pod. In simple terms, pods function the same as tanks, but they are curved, sleek, and stylish.
There are two types of vape pods: closed pods and open pods.
Closed Vape Pods
Some people refer to closed vape pods as pre-filled vape pods.
Regardless of what you call them, these pods are the easiest type of pod to install and use. Every closed pod comes pre-filled with e-liquid and contains a pre-installed coil. You can unpack your coil, slot it into your device, and start vaping straight away.
Closed pods are very low maintenance, which makes them perfect for beginners. The ‘plug and play’ style means that vapers do not have to wade through thousands of customisation options before they get their nicotine hit. Closed vape systems are usually sleek, ergonomic, and minimalistic. They can slot into every kind of lifestyle.
The only downside of closed pods is that they can’t be refilled, so once you have used the e-liquid you need to throw the pod away or recycle it. The coil can’t be replaced, meaning you can’t experiment with different resistances.
Open Vape Pods
Some vapers refer to open vape pods as refillable vape pods.
These kinds of pods offer much more flexibility and customisation than closed pods. They can be refilled with any number of e-liquids, and some brands even allow vapers to swap out the coil for a new one. Other brands create pods that have a locked-in coil that can’t be replaced.
Open pods normally come with a rubber bung. To refill the pod, just remove the bung, add your e-liquid, and slot it back into place.
We recommend this kind of pod system for people who want more customisation options. Whereas beginners might be happy to try whatever e-liquid comes with a closed pod system, vapers who have a few more months under their belts might want to try nic salts, shortfills, and different VG/PG compositions.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Vape Pods
To answer the question ‘what are vape pods’ you have to consider the pros and cons.
- Easy handling – If you are looking for a tank that is easy to install and handle, you should opt for vape pods. In most cases, you can simply unpack the pod and slot it into your device.
- Low maintenance – Closed vape pods need no maintenance at all! These kinds of pods are pre-filled and come with a pre-installed coil, which means that you do not have to waste time wondering which choices pair well together.
- Leak-proof – One of the biggest advantages of pod systems is that they promise a leak-free experience. Pod brands often use plastic instead of glass and magnets instead of 510 connections. As well as that, closed pods and even some open pods have fewer replaceable parts, which drastically reduces the likelihood of leaks.
- Slimmer device – Pods slot into slimline, sleek pod systems. They are far more compact than the devices that come with traditional tanks. Vapers can enjoy the same satisfying nicotine hit from a far slimmer device that is perfect for their pockets.
- More affordable Pods are often more affordable than traditional tanks. Pod manufacturers use cheaper materials like plastic instead of glass or metal. This leads to a cheaper overall product.
- Fewer customisation options – In general terms, vape pods are less customisable than traditional tanks. Open pods do have customisation options, but closed pods come pre-filled with a certain kind of coil and type of e-liquid.
- Single-use – Closed pods are single-use. If your favourite closed pod brand does not create recyclable materials, your old pods will end up in a landfill site.
- Price – Pods might be cheaper per unit than traditional tanks, but traditional tanks are designed to last. Depending on what type of pod you choose, you might have to replace the entire unit every few days! The cost of this soon adds up, and you need to factor it into your search for the perfect kit.
- Designed for Mouth-to-Lung (MTL) vapers – This is either a positive or a negative, depending on your personal preferences. MTL is a style of vaping that replicates the inhale that you get from a cigarette. MTL vaping is best suited to beginners, which might scare away more advanced vapers who prefer Direct-to-Lung (DTL) vaping.
- No adjustable airflow – Most pods do not come with an adjustable airflow feature. Advanced vapers might be disappointed to find that they can’t adjust to a tighter vape.
Vont Model One Pod System
At Vont, we create vape devices for people who prefer convenience. Model One is the result of hours of market research. We found a gap in the market for vapers who want a stylish, draw-activated device that is compatible with a number of satisfying flavours. Model One was born, and it continues to be one of the most minimalist, easy-to-use pod systems today.